Friday, September 28, 2012

the “booby call”


In hindsight, when I think back to that call I received on August 8th, I am actually quite surprised as to how calm I was when I heard the words “Kelly, I’m sorry to have to tell you this but it’s not what we were hoping…” In true “Kelly” fashion, I had my notebook and pen with me and wrote down every word the doctor said. In some sense, I almost felt like I was prepared for this news, but at the same time I was hoping it wouldn’t be true.

After the call ended is another story. All of a sudden, everything felt very foggy and shaky. My world was literally shifting before my eyes. Then came the collapse and tears. So many thoughts ran through my mind. One thing I know for certain -- I will never be able to adequately thank the amazing individual who rescued me after that life-changing call. You know who you are.

To be honest, when I received my specific diagnosis, I didn’t realize that there were various types of breast cancer. I just thought it was one disease with various stages. With all the media coverage, you would think that I would have known more. Sadly, I didn’t pay as much attention to it as I should have. Sure, I acknowledged breast cancer awareness before but now I get it. In fact, now, I feel like I could write a book on the subject matter.

One of the things they tell you when you receive your diagnosis is -- don’t do any research on the Internet. I’ll admit it was hard not to look. After all, you do want to learn and understand what’s going on with your body. But I quickly understood why they make this recommendation. While filled with a lot of information and resources, it is also a scary world that can be very negative. Seriously, who needs any more fear or worry? So, I put a stop to that nonsense. Instead, I chose to get the facts from other reliable sources – ones that would fill me with hope, strength and courage.

So, you may be looking for the details of my specific diagnosis but you won’t find them here. While I am open to talking about everything, I’d rather not give the medical terminology on this platform to then be turned around and looked up online – as it won’t be helpful to anyone. If you find yourself wanting to know the facts, don’t hesitate to ask. I’m more than willing to share. I just ask that you keep thinking positive, like I have!

Now I think I need to lighten the mood a bit…what do you say? How about a lil’ musical number to bring out the WARRIOR in all of us? My youngest brother, Ryan, is not only a very talented artist (he designed my blog – love it) but also a great musician. Check out his remix of the song “Warrior” that he recently entered into a contest. Let’s all vote and get him that 1st place he deserves! Thank you, Ryan, for your beautiful creations and heart of gold. I love you so much.

Fun Fact: My first name means “Warrior Woman” and my middle name, Nicole, means “Victory of the People.” So, I often like to say that I’m successful in my battles…and I know I will win this one.

Ain’t no call like a Booby Call!
Kelly

P.S. Thank you so much for all of the encouraging comments and for joining my Boobster Club – your love and support means the world to me!

6 comments:

  1. Booby call...Love it, hahaha. Also, I love the meaning of our names -- plus, your's always described you well. Love and miss you, Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly. I am proud of you. You ARE a warrior and the"Prayer Warriors" are in full force to lift you up everyday I promise! In faith. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure ARE a warrior! We're all here fighting along side you by sending lots of positive thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I had no idea that your name meant warrior woman! That doesn't surprise me though. :) Your positive attitude is incredible - love love love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty awesome to learn what your name means. How appropriate! You're the best Kelly. Keep it all up. You're strength and positivity is unmatched! Makes me so much happier knowing you're doing so well. Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course, there are many decisions you’re going to have to make when you’re planning a trip or even if you’re an experienced traveler. Preparing your vacation is easier if you know exactly what to do and do not leave anything to chance.
    www.simpleteesusa.com |

    www.slovakcatercume.com |

    www.theelectrichearts.com |

    www.thetoptiermontana.com |

    www.yourfaceis.com |

    ReplyDelete

HOW TO POST A COMMENT:

1) Enter your comment in the text box below
2) Select an option from the “Comment as” drop-down menu
3) Click the “Publish” button
4) Depending on what you selected from the drop-down menu earlier, another screen or window will open, prompting you to either log-in to your account, enter your name, username, etc.; you may also be prompted to complete a “word verification” test
5) Enter the details needed
6) Click the “Publish” button
7) Refresh the page to see that your comment has indeed posted

-NOTE: If you select, “Comment As: Google Account,” you will be redirected to a Google sign-in page, asking you for your username and password. This is normal; you are logging into your account, in order to comment using your Google Account. Proceed with the log-in as you usually would. You will be taken back to the comment page or be prompted to set-up a Google+ Profile or Limited Blogger Profile (if you don't already have one) and then taken back to the comment page. Proceed with steps 5-7 above.

THE EASIEST WAY TO COMMENT:

1) Enter your comment in the text box below
2) Select “Name/URL” from the “Comment as” drop-down menu
3) Click “Publish”
4) In the window that opens, enter your name – leave the URL blank
5) Click “Continue”
6) Click “Publish”
7) Refresh the page to see that your comment has indeed posted

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!